I made these wonderful strawberry cupcakes from Vegan Bake Sale for the second time this morning. These lovely cakes are infused with 32 ounces of organic frozen strawberries and their flavor is pleasantly ever-present in the icing. This recipe yields about 15 large or 18 medium-sized, moist cupcakes. The consistency is somewhere between cupcake and muffin. I have slightly adapted the original recipe and replaced all soy ingredients with other non-dairy substitutes.
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Sauce (below) at room temperature (You can add more if you want a stronger strawberry flavor in the cake.)
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 recipe of Strawberry Butter-cream Icing (below)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line 12 or 18 cups of your muffin pan with cupcake liners, as desired. (If you don’t use some of the cups, fill them halfway with water so the pan won’t warp.)
- In a large bowl, combine the almond milk and vinegar, and set aside to curdle for 5 minutes.
- Sift the dry ingredients (from flour through salt), into another bowl.
- Whisk the sugar, strawberry sauce, oil, and vanilla into almond milk mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, fold in to just combine, breaking up any large lumps.
Spoon into the prepared muffin pans. If using 12 cups they will be full. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once they are completely cool, frost the cupcakes with icing and decorate the tops with sliced strawberries or extra strawberry sauce.
Strawberry Sauce: Combine 4 cups frozen or fresh strawberries, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup agave nectar in a medium saucepan and heat over medium to high heat, then boil, stirring occassionally, until thick and syrupy and the volume has reduced to half (about 20 minutes after the berries have started to boil).
- Let cool to room temperature and blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve to remove the seeds, if desired. (I kept the seeds and couldn’t notice them!) Store the extra sauce in a covered container in the fridge. Return sauce to room temperature prior to using.
Strawberry ‘Buttercream’ Icing(this is also adapted from the original recipe)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp vegan margarine (Earth Balance: soy free works great!)
- 1 tbsp of extra Strawberry Sauce (you can use less if you want a lighter hint of flavoring. Add strawberry til desired taste).
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted, if lumpy
- 3 tsp of almond milk
- Cream vegan margarine until well combined and fluffy, with no lumps. If creaming by hand, a whisk does the job best.
- Add strawberry sauce and mix well.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and mix well. A wooden spoon is great for mixing here.
- Add the almond milk, a tsp at a time, so you can judge the consistency. Mix until well combined and at the level of fluffiness you desire.